Monday, November 14, 2011

Musings

It was almost dark. As I entered my room to switch on the lights, there it was on my window sill...a baby pigeon lost in the dark..! I went close softly and looked at it. Where is the nest...? Did it lose its way? Was it the first day of flight through the vast blue..? Helplessly, it looked around. I drew the curtains in silence so as it to give it a secure feeling, for my eyes were undoubtedly its cage and my perception, its prison. I moved away and sat at the corner of the bed, stealing glances at that unexpected visitor. And after a while, it transformed...there I was - sitting on a narrow concrete platform at the edge of an abyss under a nameless roof. And here in the room were the eyes - unknown and curious. I could feel the eyes, but could not flap my wings. Darkness had caught me midway, and I had lost my maps. Vulnerable, exposed, apprehensive, I could scarcely move. And there were the eyes - invisible and curious. It was a lost battle, for if they came close, I had no option but to pretend alertness by staring back, and all around, there was this envelope of darkness. I had to wait, through endless hours, hoping for light gradually... I sat there stiff, turned to stone, for who knew if my quivering wings would offend the eyes..this wasn't fair. I had to complain...this precarious narrow strip of balance between the cage and the abyss.. Who was there to listen to me? Yet another pair of eyes across the patches of blue above..? And there were sounds, unfamiliar and strange..an unknown tongue of weird verbiage, which I could not fathom, but faintly sense... I've heard these eyes, more powerful than me, call some of their kind, pigeon-hearted... Swung back to the edge of the bed, I smirked - one should have lived the pigeon, to know what it means!

No comments: